Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Games as Therapy-- Pokemon

Objective:
Teach self-regulation and practice interaction with people.

Theory:  Playing games teaches; how to win with grace, how to accept defeat and see it as a learning opportunity.  It is also about spending time with people you like, meet and make new friends.

On The Ground:
I don't quite know how TsukiMoon's interest in Pokemon got started.  In the past I have asked if he would like to read Pokemon books when we are at the used book store and the answer as always been, "no."  I believe that he must have watched an episode on Netflix one day when he sneaked some extra screen time.

He became infatuated with Pikachu.  "Pikachu is sooooo cute!  Isn't he cute?"  He started to mimicking how Pikeachu talks, a high-pitched-baby-doll voice.  The only thing Pikachu says is his name so you can interpret his wants any way you want.  From my perspective it seems like a crazy show. For a kid that is not very connected to things he shows lots of emotion for this little critter.



That good feeling quickly graduated beyond the tv show to wanting to play the game.  At the game store last weekend he talked with Miss R, who happened to be the salesperson who started the Warhammer obsession.  She informed him to the different types of decks available.  We bought two decks of cards for about $25.  He was so excited he set up my cards when we got home while  I cleaned the kitchen. 

Pokemon, oh my God did someone invent a complicated game that is tough to learn.  Boo had me watch a youtube video to help me understand the rules.  (Kids are so sophisticated with their understanding of technology and I got my first Apple Mac in 1986 when I was 16 and he is still better at all the ins-and-outs of the internet at 9 then I am.)

Mr. TsukiMoon suggested that we watch YouTube for some help.  Boo sat me down to watch a insulting introduction how to play Pokemon.  He thought the production was great because it was children teaching oafish adults.  He chortled all the way through it saying, "isn't this great?"   

We sat down on the floor and started to play.  I was just as oafish as the parents in the youtube production, I was quicly losing.  Since both his deck and mine had been set up by TsukiMoon and because I was getting my hat handed to me, it seemed that the decks were stacked.  (A little insight into me is that don't like to lose.  I share this trait with TsukiMoon )  I started to get upset.  It seemed like he was making up the rules as he went along.  To his credit he said, "I'm sorry that you feel that way Mommy.  You'll get it."

Wow did I just hear that?  So much empathy, he must really want to play.  So I stuck it out.  I did need a nap afterwards.

TsukiMoon has played a few times with me and his friends since.  One interpersonal trait that TsukiMoon needs to 

"Yeah great," I snorted.  I felt much like the dummies in the video acted.  I needed a nap afterwards.

TsukiMoon has played with me and his friends a couple of times since.  Tuesdays at the game store are Pokemon days.  We will have to go there so TsukiMoon can practice his skills, all of them.  I suspect that we will need to watch a game or even a couple of games over a couple of weeks before TsukiMoon feels comfortable enough to play.  We will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment